Riverdale Sexual Assault Lawyer
Sexual assault is one of the most terrifying and life-changing events that anyone can suffer. Victims may feel some level of comfort in knowing that the criminal justice system is punishing the perpetrator and removing him or her from the streets, but that does little to help victims put their lives back together.
At The Dixon Firm, P.C. our sexual assault lawyer in Riverdale helps clients understand and protect their legal rights. We understand the devastating impact of sexual assault, and we offer support, understanding, and legal guidance that our clients can count on. We believe that anyone responsible for sexual assault should be held accountable. That includes:
- The Perpetrator: The criminal justice system will manage criminal charges, but you may also have grounds to file a civil lawsuit against that person to recover damages.
- Property Owners: Poorly maintained and unsecured properties create conditions that attract sexual assault predators. Property owners have a duty to keep their properties maintained, secured, well lit, and supervised.
- Security Guards: Security guards who are poorly trained may not recognize situations that can escalate into sexual assault. Guards who are inattentive, or who don’t care about their duty also may be negligent in not responding to a potential danger.
- Employers: Sometimes sexual assault occurs among co-workers, or between an employee and a customer. It is important that employers properly screen their employees, including conducting a thorough background check and criminal history. Employers who hire individuals with sexual misconduct on their record may be exposing co-workers and customers to danger that could be avoided.
These situations are just a few examples of situations and individuals that can contribute to sexual assault.
The Impact of Sexual Assault on Victims
At The Dixon Firm, P.C. we are passionate about helping victims of sexual assault move forward with their lives. We have worked with numerous sexual assault victims and their families, and we know that the impact is tremendous. Victims of sexual assault often face long-term, or even permanent physical, mental, and emotional injuries. This includes:
- Physical Scars
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Sleep Problems
- Unwanted/Unplanned Pregnancy
- Eating Disorders
- Anxiety or Fear
- Alcohol or Drug Abuse
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
If you are suffering from any of these impacts, we urge you to get help. The Dixon Firm, P.C. can offer legal guidance, and can help you find the resources you need to feel safe, comfortable, and in control of your life. We also want to help you get compensation for your injuries and losses.
Compensation for Sexual Assault in Riverdale, GA
If you file a civil lawsuit against anyone responsible for your sexual assault, you may be able to pursue compensation for your injuries and losses. This includes:
- Medical Expenses
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Therapy/Counseling Costs
- Lost Wages
- Punitive Damages
The idea of damages in a sexual assault case is to restore you, or to make you whole. We understand that there is no amount of money that can take away the pain and trauma you have experienced. However, holding responsible parties accountable can help you maintain financial stability. It can also be a powerful tool as you let the perpetrator(s) know that you are in control of your life and will no longer be a victim to them.
What to Do After a Sexual Assault in Riverdale
If you have been sexually assaulted, the first thing you should do is go to the nearest hospital. Call police while you are there and file a report. Provide as much information as you can about the assault, and request a rape kit be performed. If you arrive at the hospital alone, call a friend or family member you can trust and ask them to come stay with you until you are released.
If you are afraid for your safety, contact your local police or sheriff’s department and ask about protection. If you feel unsafe, stay overnight with a friend or family member until the perpetrator is located and taken into custody.
If you need to speak with someone about what you are feeling, you can contact one of these organizations for help:
- The Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network (RAINN)
- The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)
- The National Alliance to End Sexual Violence (NAESV)
After getting medical attention and ensuring that you are safe, the next step is contacting a sexual assault lawyer in Riverdale. At The Dixon Firm, P.C. we will stand beside you throughout the legal process. Whether you decide to file a civil suit, or need representation as criminal charges are processed, we will be by your side.
Schedule a free, confidential consultation with The Dixon Firm, P.C. by calling 404-733-1166.